Preheat your oven to 400 F (200 C). Melt the chocolate and butter in a bain-marie (double boiler). Once the chocolate and buttter are melted add the cardamom (or the spices/flavors of your choice – optional).
Melt butter and chocolate in a bain-marie
2. While the chocolate and butter are melting, use an egg beater and beat the eggs and sugar until you get an off-white mixture (around 5 minutes).
3. Slowly add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture while stirring constantly with a whisk or the eggs may cook.
Add chocolate mixture to the egg mixture while stirring constantly
4. Once the eggs and chocolate are mixed, incorporate the flour and stir.
5. Coat the ramekins with butter (you can additionally sprinkle sugar for a more crispy topping) and fill them with the chocolate batter about 3/4 full.
Fill the ramekins to about 3/4 of the cup
6. Bake the lava cake for 11 minutes for the regular size ramekins (or 9 1/2 minutes for the smaller ramekins). The baking time may change based on your oven. Make sure not to overcook the lava cake as it may seem uncooked if you put a toothpick in the cake to test it. The inside will be runny when it’s done (that’s why it’s called lava cake). 🙂
7. You can serve the lava cake within the ramekins or carefully flip them on a plate and lightly dust them with confectioners sugar. Let the lava cake cool for a few minutes before serving (best served with vanilla ice-cream).
And voila – the Chocolate Lava cake is ready for consumption!
If the centers are too cakelike in texture, bake a minute or two less the next time; if they’re too soft, bake a minute or two longer.
To make ahead, pour the batter into custard cups, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 24 hours. You may need to bake the cakes 1 to 2 minutes longer.
What a delicious recipe, dear! can’t wait to try it out!! Thank you for sharing!
Great to see the pics! Thanks! Will try it…
Thanks for sharing – I can’t wait to try it!
YES!! I tried it and it was fabulouly delicious! Thanks El Love.
Don’t know how to put the pics up!
You may also put a strong T or teaspoon of coffe or a small teasppon of instant coffee
Thank you so much for lovely song and recipes!
Delicious. thank you!
My pleasure. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!
Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Looks yummy. Can’t wait to try it:-)!