All around the world Baha’is are celebrating the festival of Ayyam-i-Ha which is a time of bringing cheer to others, visiting the poor and needy and giving gifts. One of the ways I like to celebrate is by giving home-made baked gifts for Ayyam-i-Ha to show my love for friends and family.
I recently found this nutella bread recipe and thought I’d try it out today in addition to making home-made strawberry jam and banana bread as gifts for friends and neighbours. They didn’t include a home-made dough recipe so I looked for one that would be relatively easy to make. See below for the parts that I used for the nutella star bread but for the full recipe for making brioche bread you can refer to the original recipe by sophistimom. 9 Star Nutella Bread
1/4 cup warm milk
1 package (or 1 tablespoon) instant dry yeast 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt 3 tablespoons granulated sugar 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces 4 eggs, cold from the refrigerator, plus one for egg wash
1. Dissolve yeast in the milk. Fit the food processor with the dough blade (This is usually the one with shorter, blunter blades). Place 1 cup of the flour, the yeast and milk mixture, salt, sugar, and butter into the food processor. Pulse a few times until it looks mostly incorporated, and it looks like a crumble topping for a pie.
2. With the processor on, use the feed tube to add the remaining flour and each of the eggs, one at a time. Process the mixture until the dough starts to come together and pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn the power off, and let the dough rise in the food processor for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size. Pulse the dough a time or two to “punch it down.”
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Follow the rest of this recipe by Dave Hax on youtube (link to making the nutella star bread (it’s a little too complicated to explain in writing as it’s very visual). For a 9 star cake, refer to the chart below: 1. Cut circle into thirds 2. Then cut each section into thirds (add 2 lines in each section in red) 3. Cut each pie in half and that will lead to a 9 star cake.
5. Brush lightly with egg wash (1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of water). Bake for 15-20 minutes. Place pan on its side for cooling, and remove when you feel like you’ve waited long enough, about 3-4 minutes. Serve warm.